[Tech1] Estates, Wills, Probate, etc.

Chris Woolf chris at chriswoolf.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 06:13:01 CDT 2023

You are quite right - the whole inheritance tax business is a mess. As
has been frequently said, if you are wealthy, healthy and have a good
tax adviser you don't pay it at all. If you own any property and have
little understanding of finance, your heirs get caned.

I'm not against the idea of a wealth tax but it does need to be a lot
better organised than it is now.

I think a great many elderly people see cash in a bank account, and
maximum equity in their property as something desirable - it has been
for most of their life. But during the last seven  years (who knows when
they will start?) the desirability reverses completely. So hard to
suddenly change your position at a late stage in life, and also (often)
a need to put your trust in children, friends, legal systems etc to keep
some sort of safety net in case you need expensive care.

It all needs to be changed, but you (plurally) have to implement that
change at elections.

Chris Woolf