[Tech1] Estates, Wills, Probate, etc.

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Tue Jun 6 06:02:09 CDT 2023

I’m re-posting the following because something caused the text of the whole conversation to shrink into micro-font (as it came back my iPad).
N.
Nick Ware - sent from my iPad

On 5 Jun 2023, at 22:19, Nick Ware via Tech1 <tech1 at tech-ops.co.uk> wrote:

 Something for all to consider:
If you have a significant Estate and/or things of value to leave to your beneficiaries, get proper advice and place as much as you can outside your Estate now.
My wife and her two sisters were joint beneficiaries to the Estate of a childless uncle and aunt. Because they stubbornly refused to do the right thing, the Probate process took 24 months, and the death duty jointly paid by the sisters amounted to just under £500,000. And that Death Duty had to be paid before Probate could be granted. Things were further complicated by the fact that they died only three days apart, meaning that two separate Probate applications had to be made, and two sets of legal fees.
The immoral thing was that said uncle and aunt had paid Income Tax on every penny of what they had to leave in their Wills. And, their (unoccupied) house couldn’t be sold until after Probate, yet the local Council still required Council Tax to be paid for the whole of the 24 months!
N.
Nick Ware - sent from my iPad