[Tech1] Small mixer

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Sat Apr 24 08:36:16 CDT 2021

Small mixers with USB outputs tend not to have much in the way of decent EQ or dynamics.  I assume that they were designed to be used with digital audio software which offers much more comprehensive options as part of the software, but using it to feed microphones into Zoom calls wasn’t really planned for.

If you’re using a Mac and simply want the equivalent of a cabled microphone, plugging an iPhone into a USB port ( using the normal charging cable )  allows you to use it as an external microphone.  You either use Audio/MIDI Setup or the Sound control panel to select it as the audio input once you have plugged it in. I think there are similar wheezes for PCs and Android phones too. It’s not exactly a Neumann, but it’s pretty decent and has the advantage of being free.

Alan Taylor