[Tech1] Just another day.

PATRICK HEIGHAM patrick.heigham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 07:40:21 CDT 2024

Interested that there are friends of the RNLI among us.
As a former resident of the I o W, I was waiting one day for the
Yarmouth-Lymington car ferry and got to chat with a crew member working
on the Yarmouth lifeboat.
I remarked on thelittle dock by the quayside – previously the boat was
moored in the middle of the harbour. He told me that it meant, with
mains power available, the engines could be kept warmed up, and run at
full speed from the word go, saving valuable time to answer the shout.

I am pleased to support the RNLI, with raffle tickets and purchases from
the shop – Christmas hampers were exceptionally good, and as my father
liked 'messing about in boats' (He built a small cabin cruiser in his
garage) and I worked with cameramen in the film industry, several of
whom were keen sailors and owned boats.

My uncle served during the war in the Merchant Marine, and when he
passed on, the Yarmouth (IoW) lifeboat took his widow out to scatter his
ashes at sea. That was a fine gesture.

Pat H