[Tech1] Just another day.

Nick Ware ware.nick at aol.com
Tue Apr 16 13:32:11 CDT 2024

Whether or not a hammer will damage the object it’s hitting is what it’s all about. I have a soft face mallet that is the perfect tool in precision carpentry. In the past I have built two pipe organs and restored another (which I still have), and a soft face is the best way to get joints fitting perfectly and 100% airtight without injury to the job. My seasoned Oak mallet I made myself.
Anyone care to have a guess at what this is? The left hand end is open, the same internal shape as the sharp end. This particular one is around 250 years old (and, no, I haven’t been using it that long!)
When we last moved house, other than the obvious, there were two criteria that had to be met. For the Boss, a good spacious kitchen; and for me, space and a bit of acoustics for the organ (and a wide enough doorway to get it in).