[Tech1] "Film" sound

Chris Woolf chris at chriswoolf.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 06:30:58 CST 2023

So good that others agree!

Yes, age doesn't help, and hearing diminished somewhat, but the fall-off
in intelligibility really is something different.

There's a vast amount of attention paid to signal levels and loudness
(rightly) but almost none to intelligibility currently. As with
listening to someone with a strange language cadence, it can take a
while to grasp what is being said, so it is really hard for the brain to
match an image of someone talking in wide shot, with a voice 6" from
your ear.

I'm not against ADR, but it ought to be perfectly possible to put some
distance (and faked atmos) into the sound for wider shots. rather than
everything in one flat plane.

Chris Woolf