[Tech1] More Audio Skulduggery

Dave Plowman plowmandave44 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 07:38:08 CDT 2022

Really quite remarkable in some ways. Previous car had a CD autochanger
which held 10 discs. This one has a single CD player - but a USB input
that takes a memory stick. The one I'm using about the size of a
thumbnail. And has about 100 CDs on it, all of which I transferred
myself. And a prog (can't remember which one) added the track etc
information automatically, which appears on the screen in the car. I
find MP3 OK for car use. After all, we put up with cassette or 8-track
at one time, if wanting to play our own music.
On 13/09/2022 12:28, Alan Taylor via Tech1 wrote:
 > To expand on what Nick said.  CDs do not incorporate digital audio
compression ( but of course will faithfully reproduce any audio
compression used in the recording ). If you use sufficiently good A-D
and D-A converters, the reproduced sound should be pretty well
indistinguishable from the original to most ears.

 > Where you start getting audible differences is when digital audio
compression is used.  Digital audio compression can drastically reduce
the amount of data needed, which means that more audio can be stored in
a given amount of memory, or for streaming and broadcasting, less
bandwidth is needed to transmit it.

 > Compressed formats include MiniDisc, or for computer storage, MP3 and
AAC. DAB radio uses digital compression too.  A typical MP3 file might
need less than 20% of the data used  by a CD.  Streaming might squeeze
what would originally be 100kB into less than 15kB. Obviously when
you’re throwing away  80-85% of the original data, something has to give
and the reproduced audio is sufficiently different that an untrained ear
can detect the difference in A/B comparisons, but will most likely
regard the reproduced audio as being acceptably good if listened to in
isolation. A small reduction in quality would be a sensible trade off in
return for storing much more music on a portable device, or having more
radio channels available.

 > Digital audio compression cleverly exploits a number of
psychoacoustic techniques in order to mask what it’s doing.  Because
different tricks are used to fool the ears and brain by different
compression systems, you can’t simply compare the number of bits, sample
rates, or megabytes used in order to deduce that one should sound better
than another.  What you hear does not necessarily relate to what you can
measure.  If you want to know more, try doing a search for ‘how digital
audio compression works’ and choose an article which suits your
preferred level of detail.

<tech1 at tech-ops.co.uk> wrote:

 >>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that coding the audio onto
CD dispenses with frequencies that are 'masked' by stronger levels.