[Tech1] Topic for today Stereo vision

Chris Woolf chris at chriswoolf.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 04:24:24 CDT 2022

It is quite interesting that you were listening in the dark.  The
longitudinal depth of a stereo image is a tricky thing to measure, but
most research seems to find that it is very hard to persuade a mind to
accept an image that is bigger than the room it is played back in. You
can increase it in people's /imagination/ (with darkness or eyes closed
helping that) but /location/ of instruments etc is very difficult to
agree upon. This is much like spaced mic stereo - lovely effect, but a
touch ethereal in detail. There's a big difference between an impressive
imagined (subjective) image and a repeatable objective one.

With good WFS it does seem possible to overcome this limitation, mainly
because you can move around. Since the "distant" images stay put when
you move - something that can't happen with conventional stereo replay
systems - your brain is prepared to accept the slightly confusing
concept of sound beyond the visibly finite boundaries.

With headphones distance is equally confusing for the brain - hence the
common problem of central forward sound often popping back into the
middle or top of a listener's head. The brain has do a lot of imagining
to project the image where it should be, and how well that happens
varies a lot with individuals.

Where it /can/ work is if the audio is convolved with an accurate (and
individual)  HTRF, and a fast head tracker. Once again, it seems that is
because you can move around and the image still stays where it should be
- locked to the world, and not to your body position - so your brain
doesn't get too many challenges to correct for reality.

There's been fair bit of work on pilot's headphones, giving them
"traffic" indications Done well, the warning can come from where the
nearby aircraft actually is, making it much easier to find visually -
but this has to be an objective positioning, not an imagined one.

Chris Woolf