[Tech1] View - old technology and how it was used

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Fri Oct 7 06:32:31 CDT 2022

Nerd alert!  - - - I was never a cameraman as such, but:
‘Better’ and ‘best’ have no value if they are based only on personal preference or opinion.
Two things about the EMI 2001 set it above the rest as I see it:
1 - it was a four tube camera, the fourth being a luminance channel which, when matrixed with the heavily filtered RGB components, increased overall sensitivity and reduced chroma component noise, particularly that of the (higher gain) red channel. I remember reading about this at the time.
2 - By placing the prism assembly and tubes at the rear of the camera body and having the lens focal plane at the rear, that placed the optical axis [*] as near as dammit over the centre point of the pan-tilt head. And that meant that a pan was truly a pan, and not a swing, thus simulating more realistically a human head turn. I don’t know about you guys, but when I look to the left or right, my head and eyes stay pretty much in the same place, and that’s ideally what a camera needs to be able to do!
[*] the lens’ internal optical crossover point, typically where the iris would be.
Cheers,
Nick.

Nick Ware - Sent from my iPad