[Tech1] Home automation.

Philip Tyler philiptyler at me.com
Sat Nov 26 10:20:29 CST 2022

I have been looking for a replacement timer for our lounge light. It was an aged clockwork one, so completely useless if you had a power cut.

I ended up with the Tapo TP100, a plug/socket combination with a 2.4 GHz wifi receiver in it.

Like all things in life now there’s an app for it, called erm.. Tapo.

You initially connect to it via Bluetooth and then it goes off and finds your 2.4 GHz wifi. Setup was pretty easygoing.

Once set can have various timer modes. The sunset or sunrise settings are for the location of your phone by the way!

You can set any number of on and off times and what days as well. There is also an ‘away’ setting where you can set a start and end time and it will randomly switch the connected device on and off.

They also do LED bayonet and ES bulbs which offer the same function and also dimmable.

There are cameras in the range as well.

I have been running the lounge floor lamp off one for a while and it doesn’t get hot. Any loss of power and it will automatically reconnect and carry on as if nothing happened.

So while away in some far flung corner of the world, I can happily turn a light on and off at home with a tap on the phone screen :))

A single TP100 is just under £10.

Philip and Bee

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/popular-interesting/