[Tech1] 1953 OB Farnborough

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Thu May 26 08:09:52 CDT 2022

I haven’t a clue about who might be operating the camera, but I was wondering about the lens.

1953 was pretty early for zoom lenses, but but that doesn’t look like a Rank Taylor Hobson Varatal III 5:1 zoom lens, which was the only one I know of from then. What do you camera guys reckon was being used?  A zoom, or a big prime lens?

There were probably a lot of ex-RAF aerial reconnaissance lenses available at that time which might be adaptable for TV cameras. That lens certainly does look like it’s a zoom, but the cameraman only appears to be using one hand, which suggests that it’s not a zoom … or maybe he’s just relaxing.

I wondered if there might be more info or pictures online.  I couldn’t find any mention of Farnborough 1953 on the BBC Genome, which seemed odd.  On YouTube there is a Movietone film of that year’s air show and it includes some panning shots which include what might be TV camera scaffolding towers, but it was too blurry to make out any detail. Plenty of nice shots of aircraft of that time for anybody interested in such things.

Alan