[Tech1] Parents and Credits!

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Sat Mar 19 06:52:42 CDT 2022

What was it about working for the BBC that parents couldn’t see was a ‘proper job’? My Dad died eight years before I left the Beeb, so he never saw me in a proper job. Mum, on the other hand, only took my work seriously 26 years after I left the BBC, when in 2006, I showed her my Emmy award for a CBS story we’d covered in Iran about Nuclear energy/weaponry. In that story was an interview with the then President Ahmadinejad. At the end of that interview ‘my’ cameraman and I were presented with gold Rolexes as a thankyou, which under CBS potential bribery rules, we weren’t allowed to accept. It was a sackable offence. For the staff cameraman it was a no-brainer, but me being freelance, I had only seconds to decide whether the value of the Rolex was greater than the number of CBS working days I would lose if I kept the watch! I did plenty of CBS 60 Minutes after that, but I’ll never be sure if I made the right choice.
Cheers,
Nick.
Nick Ware - From my iPad mini 6