[Tech1] German hydrogen strategy

Dave Plowman dave at davesound.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 07:16:34 CDT 2021

It's a fallacy that hydrogen is a truly green fuel under all conditions.
Some think it would be an ideal replacement for natural gas  used for
heating. But it produces NOx under those conditions. As it does if used
in an internal combustion engine. In a fuel cell, it is largely
pollution free, though. But not as efficient a way of recovering the
energy from it.

In London, we now have the ULEZ. Which has coincided with a reduction in
PT services. Before Covid, there was a train every 10 minutes to take me
to Clapham Junction - only a few minutes journey. Giving me access to
ASDA, Lidl, and Boots. Now 20 minutes or more. So I now use my car.

Other thing is the ULEZ will make the poorer who need a car to swap
their older diesel for petrol. Due to the cost of buying a Euro6
compliant diesel. Which will increase CO2 , but reduce NOx. And don't
get me started on the vast numbers of Euro6 compliant cars with Bosch
injection which pass the lab tests, but fail miserably in actual use.