[Tech1] Future heating

Graham Maunder grahamthecameraman at icloud.com
Wed Oct 20 13:23:10 CDT 2021

Dave

You don’t need large amounts of land for ground source heat pumps anymore (unlike when we built our house in 2005)
You can now use a vertical system where a deep bore hole is drilled and the pipe work goes in that.
When we built our house we put a lot of other eco friendly things in place including a grey water system that uses rainwater from the main house and garage roofs stored in a large tank that is used for the outside taps and for flushing WC’s and the washing machine.
We also installed early solar panels (hidden from view on the roof) which sadly have just failed 16 years later and were never terribly good anyway.
However, the one thing we couldn’t control was 6 children leaving every appliance and light switch on!!!

It was obviously easier building everything into a new house but at the time all the options we went for were more expensive than the less green option.

Have we saved money in the long run? Possibly, but at least we gave it a go!

Graham Maunder

Sent from my iPhone