[Tech1] Ventriloquists or 'A Gottle of Geer'

Geoffrey Hawkes geoff.hawkes134 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 2 17:35:58 CDT 2021

The original story you refer to, Mike was one I posted at least a year ago, I should think but by chance reappeared at the foot of a recent message from John.
It told of how I was working in Pres A one day in the seventies (I guess), when Ray Alan came in to do an item with his dummy (if that’s the correct term, not puppet) Lord Charles. He was sitting in the gallery chatting to one of the PA’s about nothing in particular, with Lord Charles on his knee, during which Lord Charles was looking all round just like a person would who was new to the place. I commented that that was the sign of a true professional who never let the dummy go “dead” while he was on show as I’ve seen amateurs do, as that completely destroys the illusion. I can’t remember if Lord Charles interrupted the conversation with a remark or question of his own but it would’ve been even more amusing if he had,

Geoff