[Tech1] How to cover a Lit Fest 2021

John Nottage jnottage.jn at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 8 02:44:47 CST 2021

I've been going to the Literary Festival in our local hall. As per
usual, post-pandemic, it's being made available on-line as well. No OB
van though these days, just 3 Lumix cameras on tripods, locked off, &
fed via a laptop with a vision mixing box to Vimeo with the PA sound.
The "producer/vision mixer" confessed he wasn't a camera operator.
Occasionally he stood up & went & adjusted the cameras. When the view
moved from 2 speakers in chairs to one speaker at the lectern, he would
reframe the centre camera, but not till the person had actually moved.
For the first couple of days, he didn't bother to include the projector
screen in shot, so when that was relevant, the remote audience would be
most confused. I was surprised it wasn't recorded on site, but just
streamed to some remote bloke who checked it out then fed it on to Vimeo
the next day. I must admit to being quite impressed by the "Scanner on a
table-top".

Since you have to pay to watch the streamed version, I won't be seeing
the result...

John Nottage