[Tech1] Lines was: 'We claimed £70,000 in grants'

Nick Ware Waresound at msn.com
Thu Nov 4 06:02:59 CDT 2021

And another, by way of light relief for a moment from carbon emissions:
If I can, on a Thursday morning such as this, I like to go to the village farmers’ market. No single use plastics there, and if you ask, it’s easy to minimise airmiles on your fruit and veg. Strawberries in November from Peru? I don’t think so, thanks!

Grant, a very nice local farmer, has a stall selling eggs and meat products from his farm.
I have this childish habit when he asks: “Would you like to choose your eggs?” (apparently, some people do), of replying: “No, just give me six of the best please!”. And if I don’t say that first, he’ll pre-empt it by saying: “Ah, have you come for your six of the best?”. And so, the silly banter goes on from there.
His daughter is often there helping, and even after many months of this mysterious behaviour, she still can’t understand why the phrase “six of the best” leaves us, and any bystanders of a certain age, cackling with laughter.
“See you next week” he always says, and he surely will.
But it doesn’t end there. There’s another egg stall that I have to walk past to get to the car (if I haven’t gone to market on foot). The lady on that stall asks me why I don’t buy her eggs for a change. I say: “Because he gives me six of the best”. She doesn’t get the joke, and probably rightly, thinks I’m a weirdo.
Cheers,
N.
Nick Ware - Sent from my iPad mini 5