[Tech1] The inevitable

Roger E Long relong at btinternet.com
Wed Mar 3 11:23:34 CST 2021

When filming Monocled Mutineer on the Somerset levels, Spec FX has explosive charges a plenty left over from the trench scenes.
They piled them together in various thunder pots and let rip.
I had placed spot Sennheiser MD 441s quite close for the bang
It was enormous, the whole peat surface formed a wave and shook violently
FX still had some short ends and were rigging a final blast when a irate Farmer screamed up in his Landy and told us in no uncertain term to desist.
He was milking in his parlour some 2 miles away and the dairy herd had gone berserk.
One of my 441s went missing , 6 months later Design returned it, when they were clearing the site, it still worked perfectly.

In Belfast filming a Man Alive story on the Falls we were staying in the Europa and had the inevitable bomb warning, the camera man Tony Pierce Roberts and I decamped to the convenient pub across the road all Brass and Mahogany
Tony was straight out of the shower dressed only in a towel..
We had a fun night.
There was a controlled explosion and we returned to our rooms @ 2 am.
They had all been burgled in our absence.

Roger
I enjoyed recording machine guns from Bapty
The Lewis gun in particular firing wooden blanks, a tremendous bark
The Vickers and the Hun MG not quite as terrifying, but they were firing  wadding blanks.