[Tech1] Plenty of Radio MIc channels in Iran

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Tue Jun 22 12:46:59 CDT 2021

I was amused by that picture too.  There are other pics from a higher angle showing more detail of the microphone array.  Presumably they like the look of fifty TV channels all putting mic flags in shot.  It reminds me of those pictures we used to see of Soviet officials sat at a desk with eight telephones.

Obviously they have never hard of distribution systems for all the crews to plug into in order to get a feed. Alternatively they could have set up one Tx and each crew tune into that frequency with their own receiver.

Apologies tor re-telling the story, but on a press conference in France, I wanted a feed from the podium and was directed to one of several small wooden boxes which I could pop a microphone into.  Each was fan shaped with a loudspeaker at the narrow end and about twelve radiating foam lined grooves to hold stick mics pointing at the speaker.   Once loaded up, the lid was clipped shut.

The guy overseeing it could see that I was amused by it, but he did a shrug of his a Gallic shoulders and said that it’s simple and reliable.  You can hear the loudspeaker working during the test and when you pop your mic in the box, you know that you’ll be getting a mic level feed without earth loops or needing special adaptors.   It’s hard to argue with that sort of logic, nor is there any need to argue either, because it worked perfectly.

Alan Taylor