[Tech1] NHS Digital Data grab

Peter Fox peter.fox at zero51.force9.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 07:06:59 CDT 2021

I am having a second try at mailing this, but without an active hyperlink.

Are you all aware that NHS Digital have instructed all GPs to upload all
their patients confidential medical records starting from 1st July? If
you don't opt out by 23rd June or if you opt out later they won't erase
what they have already taken.

NHS Digital enable some very useful things like repeat prescriptions and
allowing A&E to dive into your record at need.

You have to ask yourself why NHS Digital need ALL your data? Of course
it's good for research and planning but could it be to make the NHS even
more attractive in a potential trade deal? You can opt back in later if
you are eventually convinced your data is truly safe and opting out
won't affect your normal doctor/hospital transactions.

Up to you, but a lot of GPs are upset by this demand which made at very
short notice, presumably to stifle dissent.

Here's a good site covering the otherwise convoluted op-outs and a
source of the type 1 opt-out pdf to post to your GP. I would guess a
sensible letter would serve instead, but after the 23rd June it's too late.

https://medconfidential.org

Peter F