[Tech1] Air con

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Thu Jul 22 03:20:36 CDT 2021

Effective ventilation can keep a house much cooler in the hot weather, but it also can allow flies and mosquitoes in.  A friend of mine used to swear by fine screens stretched across windows but my house has a number of windows which aren’t suitable for self adhesive strips to hold the mesh.

Some of my windows have stone mullions with Crittall steel window frames.  These pose two problems, one is that I don’t like the idea of sticking self adhesive Velcro to stone, the other is that the window doesn’t have a window stay to hold it open.  There is supposed to be a friction adjustment in the hinge, but the adjusting screw has long since jammed up.

I made wooden frames to fit the windows and recessed a number of 6mm magnets into them to hold the frame onto the steel window frame.  The mesh is stretched over the frame and the whole assembly easily lifts on and off in a moment.

Keeping the window open called for more ingenuity.  I tried several approaches but ended up using magnets again, but these are very strong 25mm diameter magnets in a metal shell with an M5 male thread. I found an aerospace supplier on eBay who sold what I believe are throttle linkages. It’s a sort of ball bearing joint with an M5 male thread at one end and a female thread at the other. Another eBay supplier sold me thick walled aluminium tube which was just the right size for tapping M5, leaving plenty of material to maintain it’s strength.

I’ve attached a picture and you can see how it all goes together.  I optmised the exposure to show the mesh as best as I can, but in reality, the tightly stretched black mesh is almost invisible in most lighting conditions.

Another window posed multiple challenges. That one is a round window, again supposedly with a friction mechanism to keep it open, but the adjusting screw is jammed solid.  The mesh screen over that window was the easier challenge.  I made a ring of MDF with a smaller ring behind it, the mesh is trapped between the two.  Holding it in position looked to be tricky to achieve neatly until I started making the smaller ring.  Although the window is circular, by the time the plasterer had smoothed it neatly, the inside aperture was slightly eccentric, even though it looked circular. The inner ring was scribed to exactly fit the shape and when the rings and mesh are offered up to the window, you only need to twist it slightly and it locks firmly into place like a cam.

Keeping the window open was much more tricky.  The wooden frame meant that magnets were no use and the position of the window makes it awkward to reach any mechanical clamp. Furthermore, adjusting the window was going to be a little tedious if it meant removing the frame which holds the mesh in order to tweak the clamp.

I ended up buying a 12v linear actuator from eBay ( intended for operating things like windows, seats and mirrors in cars - cost about £16 ). I had hoped to mount the actuator vertically with one end screwed to the frame and the other screwed to the window, but when the window was shut, the disadvantageous leverage meant that the weather seal made it too stiff to break that seal.  I ended up having to mount it pushing the window directly and it works really well, although in hindsight, I should have got an actuator with a longer travel. The actuator is operated by a generic car window switch mounted on a standard 1 gang blanking plate and as it’s in a bathroom and there isn’t power readily available there, it’s powered from a 12v lead acid gel battery inside a cupboard. I have several of these batteries for my audio gear.  I don’t know how long it goes between recharges, but make a point of operating it every day and four months on, it’s still going strong.  The next battery is charged up and ready to be dropped in and connected by it’s 4pin XLR.

The next task is to get it connected via HomeKit.  It will need mains power instead of the battery, but suitable controllers are excessively pricey, so I’ve got a couple of ideas about doing it more affordably.

…. and yes Graham, CAT 6 cabling is great to have routed around the house.  We have stone walls, solid floors and beamed ceilings, therefore running cables inconspicuously calls for some ingenuity. Whenever a room is being refurbished or a floor taken up, I try to install CAT6 cables for future use.  Sometimes used for ethernet data purposes and other times to distribute A/V signals via adaptors. Having said that, wireless systems are getting more practical these days.  Fortunately our new router means that WiFi works well throughout the house, but it struggles to pass  through the external walls so we use a separate sender for the garden.

Alan Taylor