[Tech1] MOTD - and all that...

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Mon Jul 12 03:45:11 CDT 2021

Commentators instinctively want to have line of sight at the event, but many come round to realising that a suitably equipped off-tube commentary can be very satisfactory and even offer advantages. I did a series of rugby matches for S4C and they always had two commentators, one in Welsh, the other in English.  Some of the smaller grounds didn’t have much space for commentators and on one match, a commentator was positioned about six feet behind a camera in a booth with solid walls either side.  I thought he would make a huge fuss when he saw the commentary position with no view of the pitch, but he was quite happy and pointed out that the camera and cameraman would shield him from the biting wind.  He said that on cold days, off-tube commentating was his preference and that he would especially welcome it if the video and audio circuits could be piped to his house.

It was a good call choosing Glensound to make the gear for the MICR.  They are a company who listen to users and try to improve their products in the light of the feedback they get.  Their gear is pretty reliable and generally suited to the abuse it gets on the road.  There are a few other companies who also take on board what users think and their products similarly benefit from feedback.

I only made the most fleeting visit to the MICR as it wasn’t used on the type of shows I had much  interest in doing.  For instance, Wimbledon used 95% of the OB fleet for about three or four weeks every summer, but I only worked there about three times in a twenty year career. During much of the 70’s I worked on Seaside Special every year, which nicely kept me away from Wimbledon and once I found my feet as a sound supervisor, I did a lot of drama work which also meant being busy elsewhere during the summer.

In my first year as a supervisor in ‘80 or ‘81, I did have to mix at Wimbledon and one thing which really surprised me was the way that outside courts coverage was handled by a collection of random small sound desks cobbled together with an obscene number of distribution amplifiers and parallel strips connected together with a rat’s nest of cables and adaptors.  Having been doing the house PA and monitor mix for Seaside Special for a few years, it seemed obvious to me that the requirements for covering the outside courts would be elegantly served by simply hiring in a large monitor mixer, offering lots of channels, but crucially a very large number of auxiliary outputs. All the microphones and feeds appeared on that one desk and any combination of sources could be fed to any combination of the many outputs.  Leigh Osborne was running a PA hire sideline at the time and he bought a massive all-singing, all-dancing monitor stage desk primarily with that role in mind.  It was hired for used use at Wimbledon the next year and for many years afterwards, proving to be a very profitable investment for him and a good solution for the coverage.

Talking of Leigh and Wimbledon, in the early 70s, he was SA1 and I was SA2 on the same unit.  We discovered that both our wives were pregnant and due virtually on the same day, which would be the second week of Wimbledon. Our lovely allocations lady, Grace, was warned about the prospect of us both needing simultaneous paternity leave during Wimbledon and was somewhat alarmed at the prospect of having to find replacements.  She joked that Leigh and I should have planned our respective carnal activities more considerately.  I pointed out to Grace that if she counted back 9 months, she had scheduled our unit to do a run of two or three programmes away from hone, culminating in the Burleigh horse trials for a week before being home for just one day before doing another show.  I pointed out to her that it was the inevitable consequences of her planning decisions.  She responded by saying that she has been accused of many things, but getting two women pregnant was something she never expected to be accused of.

As it happened, our two wives gave birth a day apart, just at the final weekend of Wimbledon.  Both of us were replaced by other staff, which meant that neither of us were there for the de-rig.  Our camera van, previously piled high with ill-gotten gains, stuff sneakily acquired from stores, useful things salvaged from skips, together with cables or gadgets we made, returned to base as a hollow shell with just the minimum basic load on it, while the camera vans of other units left Wimbledon laden with untold treasures. I think if we had realised how denuded our camera van was going to be, we might have decided to turn up just for the de-rig in order to get all our stuff back.

Alan Taylor