[Tech1] Wimbledon

techtone techtone at protonmail.com
Tue Jul 6 15:25:56 CDT 2021

Sorry if I've already told you my favourite experiences at Wimbledon (a la Pat, oops, another uncalled for slur on his reputation, where are my manners?) but in my first year there, I was on the camera behind and to one side of the umpire's chair on Centre Court when Martina won the single's title for the first time. To say she was over the moon hardly describes her euphoria. I framed up an MCU of her and leaned round the camera and waved to her and she smiled rapturously back at me and waved frantically. 'Cut to four, CUT TO FOUR!' I yelled over talkback, but all in the scanner had relaxed after the match, and were paying no attention to pictures from the court. I could hear the PA saying, 'I think four's trying to get your attention,' but far too late. Just one of those unrepeatable shots the world never got to see.

Either that same year, or the next, I had a very pleasurable experience on the old Court 1 during the break between matches. Two young ladies in the seats beside my camera position started chatting to me about the job, and feeding me strawberries and cream to keep me sweet and rambling on (as if that were necessary!).

TeaTeaFN - Tony

Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com/) Secure Email.