[Tech1] Help in identifying a photograph - poss another female camerawoman?

Alec Bray alec.bray.2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 10:11:54 CDT 2021

Hi Simon,

On 06/07/2021 14:12, Alexandra Palace Television Society via Tech1 wrote:
> one of the photographs shows her operating the Emitron camera!

I am afraid that it does NOT show her operating a camera!

There are three clues to that...

1.  There are headphones above her head which are those worn by the
cameraperson - almost certainly a cameraman!!

earphones

I have cut the lady out of the picture to make it clearer!  With the
person cut form the camera, you should be able to trace the lines of the
Emitron as the protruding downward front of the camera can be clearly
seen.  The lady is close to the camera, admittedly.

2,  Cutting the lady out of the picture shows clearly that we are seeing
the back of her head.  Her head is positioned some 60 to 90 degrees
clockwise from what it should be if she was operating the camera. She
may well be watching the character which is the subject of the shot: the
positioning is roughly correct for that.

back view of lady

3.  In the pictures I have seem of Emitrons, there are no controls in
the area that the lady's hand is located - and in any case, her right
hand would be on the panning handle for an Emitron!

Emitron

- but I guess that there may be other pictures in the AP TS archives
which may show controls in those areas!!!

-----

There is another line of enquiry.  From the hand of the lady in
question, there seems to be a cable dropping down to the ground. That
could be a clue!

-----

These pictures have been grabbed very quickly - baby granddaughter is
having a nap - so perhaps someone with more time and better tools can do
a decent parse of the pictures!

Hope that this is of interest,

Best regards,

Alec