[Tech1] Lifetime photo collections

David Newbitt dnewbitt at fireflyuk.net
Sun Feb 7 04:38:35 CST 2021

Yes Hugh – that’s the reason for the affection I have for the scene, not the rear view of yours truly! I mentioned the early Pentax SLR it was taken on and am reminded that I didn’t own a camera at the time. However, the just discernible leather strap round my neck was attached to a leather ER (Ever Ready) case holding a 2 1/4” sq. bellows camera, specifically a Zeiss Ikon Nettar. My parent’s next door neighbours had a RN Petty Officer son-in-law who had illicitly brought it into the UK and given it to his wife’s brother who then bought a Wrayflex (remember that? – Britain’s one and only SLR) and allowed me the semi pemanent loan of the Zeiss.
However given that Board of Trade import restrictions on foreign cameras meant the only legitimate source in the UK for Zeiss cameras was Peeling & Komlosy of Dunstable (with a long queue of would-be owners), the neighbours were so jittery at the prospect of being found out that they had me return it so it could be hidden away. I guess all this means there would be relatively few UK photographs from the 50s and early 60s taken on Zeiss cameras so those I took may have a bit of uniqueness.

Dave Newbitt.