[Tech1] Single-plate ¼" tapes

Roger E Long relong at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 29 05:59:25 CST 2021

At Bush we used to receive  2400’ 1/4” tape from Berlin just on a core in a cardboard envelope
Wo betide an innocent (me) opening the envelope.
It could end up on the floor of the edit suite.
Open roll platters always looked very cool on German machines.
However we preferred American practice when Willis Conover’s VOA Jazz Hour tapes arrived they in were in sturdy cardboard
 Boxes and on NAB 101/2 Spools
Those tapes at 15ips would be very valuable now..
The VOA suite was luxury indeed
Monitor the Washington TX  and if Short wave became garbled switch to the back up tapes
Lovely Listening , cool suite. (Compared to rest of Bush)