[Tech1] Some details of the Pye desk in Type 2 scanners.

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Tue Apr 6 07:50:23 CDT 2021

I thought that the 4033 produced an almost perfect cardioid pattern, if one looks at the maths. I’m sure Chris Woolf can expand on that? (and wasn’t there a screwdriver switch that could be selected to use the omni, ribbon or both?)
When I ventured into the film industry, I was dismayed to discover that the Fisher booms, used by Pinewood and Shepperton, were the short reach small ones (like the TVT side set boom), and did not have the tilt control, only pan. So one could not flatten out over the top on actors progressing upstage, backs to camera. Of course, any non lipsync dialogue could be picked up as a wildtrack, or on a reverse angle.
Dave Hawthorne taught me a wheeze – a presenter/actor was constantly fiddling with his personal mic, a BK6, on a lanyard.
Dave replugged it to Sound TB and spoke to the actor, requesting him to leave it alone!
I used this trick with a D25, being a moving coil, it could function as a mini loudspeaker. Putting the boom mic close to the camera operator’s ear, I had plugged the mic to the output of a Nagra, and wearing an ECM50, asked him for a top of frame limit. A very puzzled operator wondered where the voice came from.

Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10