[Tech1] Lightning strike

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Sun Apr 4 03:34:44 CDT 2021

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Samuel Langhorne Clemens’ stories about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, while at school. He became a riverboat pilot, but his piloting career was cut short when riverboat traffic ceased at the start of the Civil War. "Mark Twain" means the second mark on a line that measured depth, signifying two fathoms, or 12 feet, which was a safe depth for riverboats. The river was beset with underwater sandbanks that constantly shifted, hence soundings were taken all the time.

I always wanted to build a model stern-wheeler – maybe steam powered, and radio controlled, with a sound reproducer inside, playing selections from the B & W Minstrels! Never got around to it, though.
I remember that recently, this forum had a chat sequence about KeilKraft balsawood kits of model aircraft, using Jetex solid fuel motors. Could never afford R/C kit, sadly. Now, little R/C cars are incredibly cheap, and my cousin, who is only a few years younger than I, has a small remote controlled helicopter.
Pat