[Tech1] .pdf

ROGER BUNCE rogerbunce at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 19 03:51:30 CDT 2020

To be honest I've never been sure about that one. If it follows the
normal logic it should be either "I smelled" or "I have smelt" (Perfect
and Imperfect tenses) - a bit like the difference between "I drank" and
"I have drunk - too much - I am drunk". (At school, we only talked about
Perfect and Imperfect tenses when studying French. We never learnt - or
learned - about it in English lessons.) Since I'm constantly explaining
to people that I can't spell, the one I usually have problems with is "I
spelled" or "I have spelt". But then I think, isn't 'spelt' a type of
cereal grain? And isn't 'smelt' something they do in an iron foundry?
Best to use '-ed' ending to avoid ambiguity!

luv, Rog.