[Tech1] [gtc] recommend supplier 13 amp power extension cables

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Tue Sep 8 08:41:10 CDT 2020

I put that exact proposal to an electrician who was rewiring my house and he insisted that the regs only allow between 20 -50W output from such an outlet. He was unable to explain why German cemeteries are not full of people who used hair dryers close to their sinks. All he could come up with was "different rules".

Obviously there is a real danger with having live electricity close to water.  When we did a Snowtime Special programme in Switzerland in '78, the French singer Claude Françcois appeared in the final show ( he wrote "My Way", made famous by Sinatra ).  When we we queuing up at Geneva airport on the way home, there was a Tannoy announcement starting with the usual first five notes from "How Much is that Doggy in the Window", followed by  ... "Calling Monsieur Uurrll,   Monsieur Uurrll".  Michael Hurll went to see what the message was about and was told that Claude had been found electrocuted in his hotel suite.  He had run a bath, was in it when the light went out and was presumed to have stood up in the bath to fiddle with the bulb .....

Alan Taylor