[Tech1] Radio microphones

Brian Summers brian at mcr21.org.uk
Tue Sep 1 15:13:09 CDT 2020

Re the EMX in the type 5s, one of my first jobs when I
joined SCPD with Bob Smith (RIP)  was to retrofit the KBX
into a 19" rack The KBX was not keen on this as it was 22"
wide!!! A lot of custom metalwork later and all ten scanners
were done.  There was a custom designed Gelnsound unit to
convert control Ines to a form the KBX could understand. The
KBX was a very clever system and was marketed by BT as the
"Herald". We went on to install KBXs into the type 6 scanner
and a Big version into the CMCCR.   So far I have resisted
acquiring a KBX.

Radio Mics   MCR21 did start out with 2 Eddystones but they
would  have been changed for the solid state BBC  RC4/1
receivers.  I do have a matching Tx type TM3/3/139  this is
a solid state one, I don't have, so far, a valve radio mic
TX in the museum collection.  There is an awful lot of stuff
yet to find and re-make for MCR21.

Attached is a pic of the TM3/3  and an EDI sheet for it
courtesy of Martins bbceng site.  Be interesting to see if
they get through  the system.

Regards

Brian