[Tech1] BBC MCR21 outside broadcast van progress report

Brian Summers brian at summershome.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 08:56:18 CDT 2020

Hello all, many of you will already know about Our project

We are currently restoring a historic BBC Outside Broadcast van, MCR21, when
finished it will go on public display, hopefully first at Amberley Chalk
Pits Museum, and later in other places becoming we hope and artefact of
national significance.

Our Trust, is a small and relativity new organisation run by the trustees
and a band of volunteers. We have received support from many institutions
including the National Lottery Heritage Fund & the BBC (but no cash!).

Our project MCR21, to give it its BBC designation, will soon be leaving the
vehicle restorers where it is having some body work restoration and a new
coat of paint. We will then start the interior restoration work, refitting
the vintage 1963 television equipment.

Now can you help!

We are looking for volunteers in the Reading - Camberley - Guilford areas
who might like to take on the construction or restoration of an item of
equipment or who could bring skills to the project like metalworking,
woodworking, internal painting & cleaning and of course wiring. There is a
lot of co-ax cables and mains cables to make up in the vintage 1963 ways.

Another area where we need help is finding a suitable indoor facility were
this work can take place in the dry over winter. Our requirements are
modest; reasonable security, a supply of electricity and in the Camberley
area. To visualise MCR21 is the size of a medium bus, 7.5m long, 3.75m tall
and 2.5m wide.

Ideally we would wish to find an enthusiastic sponsor who would provide us
with a space to accommodate MCR21 and a little working area around it. We do
have a sponsors page on our website:- http://mcr21.org.uk/our-supporters/

Our time frame for this part of the work is hard to predict, MCR21 should be
ready to move in the next month or so and we expect the interior work to
take some 5-7 months when it would move to the first of its public museum
displays.

Finally there is Fundraising!
Fundraising is an ongoing problem, although we do have a grant from the
Heritage Lottery Fund it does not cover the full costs and then there is the
ongoing future funding to consider. One of our volunteers has been doing a
sterling job, selling donated and SK equipment but more help is still
needed. If you feel able to make a donation, become a "friend", or have
expertise in say crowdfunding please get in touch.

Donations web page http://mcr21.org.uk/get-involved/donate/

Useful links:-

https://www.bbc.com/historyofthebbc/research/mcr21
https://mailchi.mp/bf888e864f96/mcr2...r?e=a1e6cf3493
<https://mailchi.mp/bf888e864f96/mcr21-project-newsletter?e=a1e6cf3493>  Our
Newsletter.
www.mcr21.org.uk <http://www.mcr21.org.uk>

Best Regards

Brian Summers
Broadcast Television Technology Trust
Charitable Incorporated Organisation no. 1179333

Camberley, England.

Contact Email  <mailto:brian at mcr21.org.uk> brian at mcr21.org.uk
Find out more  <http://www.mcr21.org.uk/> www.mcr21.org.uk |
<http://www.bttt.org.uk/> www.bttt.org.uk