[Tech1] Cleopatra (now School report)

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Sat Nov 28 06:14:38 CST 2020

One report that I’m rather proud of, was from my housemaster who happened to be in charge of shooting. He wrote that he was impressed with my coolness in shooting. I joined the shooting club, as I discovered that then I need not play cricket. Being useless at all field sports, this was fine, as we only spent a half hour each afternoon, practicing ‘snapping’, that is learning to gently squeeze the trigger (unloaded!), then just one afternoon into the army truck and off to Bisley ranges for fullbore .303. I turned out to be a reasonable shot, and was picked for the Shooting Eight team, competing against other schools. This entitled me to wear the summer blazer, with white piping, as sported by the First 11 and First 15. So I could hold my head up amongst the hairy arsed tough guys of the other sports. My best recognition came during a much later visit to the Armed Response Unit of the Toronto Police in Canada. My friend and I were invited to have a few shots in their underground range. I chose to try the Heckler & Koch MP5 machine pistol. Setting it to single shot, I obtained a two inch group (which is pretty accurate) over ten shots. The instructor examined my target, and instantly offered me a job! I declined, saying that I preferred to shoot at something that wasn’t going to fire back! I had my own rifle for a time, initially .303, later converted to NATO 7.62mm, kept at home, but Surrey Police got excited when the IRA were active, so insisted that it should be stored in the armoury of the Surrey Rifle Association at Bisley. Police always checked it once a year and I would arrange to meet them there. Once they turned up a bit late, apologising that they had had to make an arrest on the way – there was indeed a suspect in the back, probably crapping himself as he may have thought he was going to be a live target! I had to give up shooting, as one afternoon, I caught a shot badly, which started my ears singing. Normally this would pass off by evening, but not this time, and to this day I suffer from tinnitus, manifesting as a background hiss, like a noisy tape recording. A London ear surgeon tested my hearing, and revealed a 20db drop at 6Kcs. Not good for someone trying to work in sound! I wondered what music mixers do if their response is not truly flat – do they dial in EQ so it sounds right to their ears?
All the best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10