[Tech1] Supermarket milk

John Nottage jpn at imixmics.co.uk
Wed Nov 11 02:35:47 CST 2020

We've used green top milk for ever. Never missed the creamy bit. I only
put a splash in coffee anyway. Apart from during Lockdown 1 when they
disappeared for a time, we've always used 1 pint cartons: anything
bigger is too hard to manage & goes off quicker. Until they went out of
business, we always bought local Marybelle milk: they were only down the
road - even greener! Now it's Co-op milk, bought every few days as
needed. As to the cost, the BBC pension removed the need to worry about
that.

Frozen milk? I remember well getting milk off the doorstep on bitter
winter mornings when the bottle top was several inches in the air,
lifted on a column of frozen milk. Why freeze it when it's so easy to
nip round the corner & buy another pint.

Likewise, we stopped using much salt years ago. None goes into cooking.
The wife likes a bit on chips. However, we always took a small pot of
salt with us to very hot countries to compensate for extra sweating. The
body does need some salt. I usually get mine from ready meals & the
morning fix of Marmite!

John Nottage