[Tech1] Farrow & Ball Paint

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Fri May 22 00:35:20 CDT 2020

I had similar problems with exterior paintwork on my house and was very disappointed with the water based paint I used.  A neighbour who is a decorator told me that you need to be especially meticulous about surface preparation, priming and undercoating when using water based top coats.  He specifically recommended using Zinsser bulls eye 123 primer.
 https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3-primer-sealer-2-5ltr/10136

I was sceptical as I have always been careful to prepare and prime wood carefully, but  tried it and so far the results have been excellent. It’s only three years since I started using that primer / sealer, but the paintwork is looking as though it will be fine for quite some time.

Obviously when you're  painting something which has previously been painted, if you are over-painting rather than stripping back to bare wood, the results will depend on what’s already there, but with something as intricate as your bench, I’m not sure how practical is might be to get back to bare wood and start again.

Incidentally, we all know that paint can be shockingly expensive. Online suppliers often offer top brands at substantially lower prices than you might find locally, but you need to spend a minimum amount to get free delivery, often only two or three assorted tins.

Alan Taylor