[Tech1] Statistics

Keith Wicks keithwicksuk at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:04:49 CDT 2020

Since our government started presenting us with figures about COVID-19, I
wondered why they didn't take into account the population of each country.
They did do so recently, but only about twice before abandoning that kind
of presentation. It does seem strange because it is common for
figures affecting populations to be expressed per million of the
populations (death rates, for example). And we would see that, compared
with other countries, the UK is doing fairly well in coping with the virus.
Of course, there are other factors besides population size to take into
account, and some factors are unknown at the moment. But the following
graph does give a reasonable indication of the relative risks in various
countries.
[image: Cases per millioin.jpg]
The only reason I can think of for our government ignoring population size
for so long is that the figures for the USA, with its large population and,
therefore, large number of virus cases, made it look as if all
other countries on the chart were coping well by comparison. But it seems
that was somewhat misleading.
KW