[Tech1] Panic buying

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Tue Mar 31 08:41:27 CDT 2020

My wife seems to believe that the sell by date on packages is there as a trigger so that she can buy that item at a reduced price once there is a yellow sticker on it. Our Waitrose often offers particularly generous reductions compared to other shops.  She is drawn towards things that she wouldn't normally buy, but might be interested in trying.  The supermarket deli counter stocks a changing range of cheeses and cold meats which eventually get sold off at reduced prices, giving us an excuse to try unfamiliar varieties without breaking the bank.  A few days after Valentines Day, our local M&S was trying to get rid of dozens of packs of Coquilles St Jacques at 90p for two.  She bought four packs.  We pigged out on them for lunch and dinner that day as two of them each seemed like a reasonable portion.

Note that for factory produced products, the sell by date can be quite different from the best before or use by date, so there shouldn't be any food safety issues when buying on the final day of the sell by date if you use them promptly.

Alan Taylor