[Tech1] RECOLLECTIONS REQUIRED

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Sat Mar 28 18:50:01 CDT 2020

Well, Barry, I remember being there, and definitely the Town Hall.
Just couldn’t remember which troupe of delicious ladies it was.

On a slightly different story – my old school held a Centenary ball, with the quad marqueed over and two dance floors. It happened that Cliff Michelmore’s son, Guy, was currently a pupil, so CM was chairman of the organising committee. He arranged for the dance band of the Grenadier Guards to play before dinner, and Ray McVay from the Hammersmith Palais, complete with singers, after.
Mike Bentine was the cabaret, and I was delighted that his act was exactly his warm-up routine for Square World (including the Gool-iE
joke!). Oh, there was also a disco in the library and a Champagne & Oyster Bar in the dining hall, with a steel band.
Later, I was working in Tunisia, on the edge of the Sahara, and Cliff arrived on our set, taking a trip from his travel programme, to visit us on The Little Prince, directed by Stanley Donen. Cliff recognised me from booming on Tonight, which was nice, but didn’t know I was an old boy from his son’s school = good memories all round.
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10