[Tech1] A sci-fi novel

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Sat Mar 28 18:21:32 CDT 2020

Hi everyone,
There seems to be a thread developing involving sci-fi or futuristic themes.
I have a memory of reading a novel or short story, which I now cannot find. Probably written by one of the well-known writers of the genre, (Bradbury, Asimov, Pohlman, Clarke?).
Synopsis:
A group of people walk into the sea – they subsequently emerge, but on a different planet. They realise that they have to stick together and
start to explore. They find a cave in which there is a wall design. They have retained their previous knowledge and skills, such that it’s recognised as being a circuit for a radio transmitter.
They decide that it must be built and pooling their remembered skills, this means mining for chemicals and materials to forge components from scratch – making glass valves etc.
All proceeds well – this is their goal, the Holy Grail, if you like, until some clown amongst them invents ‘money’. Then it all falls apart!
Basically, a satirical rant on ‘money is root of all evil’ etc.
If anyone has read it, and remembers the author, please let me know.
Best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10