[Tech1] Programme play out

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Mon Jul 6 07:02:07 CDT 2020

Hi Paul,
You clued me to investigate the audio settings on my Samsung ‘Smart’ TV.
There was a sound level setting which purported to match levels, regardless of source. Switched it off, and as far as I can tell, it sorted my problem. Think it worked by pulling up the level when there was no obvious mod. I was viewing on a Samsung 20”, however my sitting room has a Sony 32”, but that only used as a monitor off the end of my DVD recorders. The audio from those goes into my hi-fi rig – Quad amps and BNS speakers, didn’t check that route.
Will look at Deed on Tuesday, as that was the programme on which it was most noticeable.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Although I was the beneficiary of a BBC training in the 60’s, I never managed to get my head around today’s concept of compression and limiters, i.e. how to set it up correctly!
Working in documentaries with a mobile kit, I really appreciated the limiters on the SQN mixer, one could hardly hear them working, but they were a life saver on a series I did following the McLaren F1 team around the world. Racing cars are noisy!
Hopefully I can bore you with a discourse, attached.
Best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10