[Tech1] TV History

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Sat Jul 4 05:22:23 CDT 2020

I do so agree with Geoff Hawkes’ mention that the reminiscences should have been recorded.
You don’t say what year this took place – maybe video handycams weren’t around? I should have loved to have shot on that.
(There has been a super programme made with Go-Pro cams (?), think it was the Scotsman, which covered the work of the footplate crew).
I posted earlier, a story of riding on the footplate while on a filming job.
(attached again).
Every kid wanted to be an engine driver in those days – I remember being taken up to the front of the train to say hello to the drivers who were unfailingly cheerful and chatty.
My maternal grandfather had been an engineer of some description, and lived on Watford Way – one night I was taken to see a train dash across a bridge opposite his house. It was there and gone in a shower of sparks, but I think it could have been the Flying Scotsman.
He also took me to King’s Cross to see the trains – it had been raining and the carriages came in with water dripping off their gutters. Very evocative, and I remember wondering from where it was that they had come. Perhaps that was the first seeding of my interest and future love of travel to distant climes, subsequently fulfilled by the film industry!

There is a huge nostalgia for the age of steam, witness the healthy proliferation of preserved railways and the plethora of railway programmes on TV at this time.
Also attached - a Discovery at Bulmer’s Cider!

I took a girlfriend for a day out on the Bluebell Line - when she saw the steam engines, delightfully exclaimed: “Choo-choo’s!” Says it all!

Best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10