[Tech1] TV History

Chris Woolf chris at chriswoolf.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 04:36:31 CDT 2020

On 03/07/2020 10:00, Mike Jordan via Tech1 wrote:
> It isn’t just memories and tharsands of photos but all the Wood Norton
> etc training information (back to first course) OB planning sheets,
> souvenir booklets, programme videos...

The point to recognise is that, while many individual items may be of
little historical worth, these artefacts add up to a record of a craft
that has had a significant effect on our culture for ~70 years. It is a
craft that is dying out because productions simply aren't made in the
same fashion now, and won't be again in the future. Television will
still exist but not the version that was forged from the 50s till the 80
or 90s. Once automation, reduced crewing, self-shooting etc took over
the old craft faded, and though there are remnants still functioning
(and merging with established film techniques) they are at best obsolescent.

There are close parallels with some of the skills that arose during the
early part of the industrial revolution, and disappeared by the end of
it because the crafts were superseded by different techniques. As an
instance, early traction engines were built on an individual basis by
groups of craftsmen: later on factory building and standardisation of
common parts changed all this, in much the same way that robot welding
has taken over from craftspeople in car-making and other industries.

There's no point in weeping over such changes, but there ~is~ a powerful
argument for documenting a craft before it becomes forgotten, and
describing many of its details that would be hard to rediscover once
everyone concerned is pushing Vintern peds and waving Fisher booms in
the hereafter.

Chris Woolf