[Tech1] SSE, OVO, OCTAPUS Smart Meters

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Mon Jan 13 07:55:13 CST 2020

Some years ago, SSE offered me a smart electricity meter. There was a good Vodafone signal from the hall cupboard, so meter was installed.
I don’t use much power in a small flat, but enjoy looking at the display for ‘instant’ consumption. A small table top electric oven rockets the reading into Kw! But by switching off various appliances one can get an idea of each one’s consumption!
Electric heating is probably the most expensive – remember night storage heaters? One of the blocks of flats here does not have gas, so they are forced into electric. However, my heating is gas-fired boiler water radiators, and I get the benefit of heat percolating up from the flat below!
I had to have a new boiler five years ago, as the original Potterton which served well for nearly 40 years was bereft of spare parts.
A new Worcester/Bosch cost me £4500, but I got a new hot water cylinder, immersion heater, circulating pump, filter and timer control, as well as getting the engineers to bring the connections to the cupboard installed hot cylinder around to the front for easier access. The original builders had put all that at the back if the cupboard – very difficult to get to when a leak occurred!
Best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10