[Tech1] Fw: PUBLIC CONSULTATION TO DE-CRIMINALISE BBC LICENSE FEE

Dave Plowman dave at davesound.co.uk
Thu Feb 6 09:57:27 CST 2020

In article <67F7690189DD41F694E132635C569C69 at Gigabyte>,
   Mike Jordan via Tech1 <tech1 at tech-ops.co.uk> wrote:
> Just received this via the BBC Pensioners association and you may wish
> to get involved with the petition.

> After all the BBC did give us a good job for many years and it would be
> a great loss to see it disappear for the general public under a snow of
> US style programming and loads of similar cr*p. There is a lot of
> conversation around as well pointing out that any of us who actually
> watch commercial TV are paying through advertisers costs and certainly
> subscription TV can cost way more than BBC. Actually when broken down,
> the licence fee is less than a daily paper and far more worthwhile.

Here, the BBC is worth the license just for R4. Living on my own, it keeps
be company in a way TV can't. While I do other things.

I often hear it said the BBC advertises anyway. Like its trails and so on.
But not every 15 minutes or so which I find so irritating with commercial
talk radio. And light music stations versus R2.

But then many directly paid for services have advertising too - and at a
far greater cost per hour than the BBC.

I should have had a free licence this year. But chose to pay it. That's
how much I value the BBC. And hope it will carry on much as is. Even
although much of the mainstream programming is no longer to my taste. Due
to being old. ;-)

--
*IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?

    Dave Plowman     dave at davesound.co.uk     London SW 12