[Tech1] All White and Male - and mental agility

Nick Ware waresound at msn.com
Thu Dec 31 06:56:57 CST 2020

Ah, Somerset!
In 1950 I was a kid at Wells Cathedral School (boys and male staff only - with the exception of Matron, and I was never quite sure how female she was!). I wasn’t a cathedral chorister, but we did sing there regularly. I was more interested in the organ, and was allowed in there in the evenings to practice. My best mate, Malcolm Brinson, was an incredibly talented organist, even at that young age. He came from Marlborough, or it might have been Frome - memory on that eludes me at the moment, and he was our school chapel organist. At weekends, he and I, often accompanied by our Physics master, Mr Carter, (that sounds dodgy, but he was one of the few who weren’t!), also an orsganist, used to cycle all over Somerset, going into ancient little village churches that were invariably not kept locked in those days. We would walk in and think: “Now if I was organist here, where would I hide the key to the organ?” We always found it, and although we often got caught red handed, we never once got told off or thrown out, with the exception of Downside School chapel (Abbey), where we probably should have asked first! Malcolm and Mr Carter were both so much better players than me that I was mostly content to listen to them. I knew even then that my brain was wired for Physics and Electronics, and making things, and that is how it has been ever since, which I regret to some extent. How nice it would have been to be able to do both.

I lost touch with Malcolm, but soon after I left school, my sister married an organist/choirmaster who had just been appointed as organist at the New Guildford Cathedral. That’s 60 years ago now! He (and I) moved on to St Paul’s after that, making many records and CD’s there, and then he was appointed to St Albans Cathedral (which turned out to be Lance Andrews’ territory!) That story is still evolving........
Even at 86, he still trundles off to his local church (Draycott) and records, edits, adds reverb, etc.  His Christmas card to those close to him, was a wonderful selection that he had played, recorded, edited, and put on CD, and done the CD label and inlay card, without any help from anyone else. He and I both use SoundForge and Altiverb for such purposes.
His driving force is that as you get older, you must keep your brain and body active or you will just fall apart - you mustn’t just sit around doing nothing. He still gives organ recitals and nips over to the USA to host choral training courses, broadcasts, etc. Being a virtuoso organist is about as physically and mentally demanding as it’s possible to be! Way beyond anything I could ever do. But I do still go for long dog walks in the Countryside and make things, whether I need them or not.
Cheers,
Nick.
Nick Ware - Sent from my iPad mini 5