[Tech1] FW: some advice please

Alan Taylor alanaudio at me.com
Sat Apr 18 12:47:14 CDT 2020

If you want to be authentic for  a 1940’s OB, you wouldn’t be talking about recordings because video recorders weren’t going to be invented for another twenty years or so.

Live OBs would generally start with a countdown on talkback from a production secretary ( production assistant ) and the director would then cue the action, which would be relayed to the floor manager, who would be wearing long lead STC headphones, who would then cue the people in shot. There was no radio talkback in those days.

At the end of the transmission, there may be a countdown from the PA if the show was supposed to end at a specific time and the director would probably say “ ... and cut”. Red lights were used in OB trucks too, but on the set, the only red light visible would be on whichever camera was live.

If the OB were an insert into a bigger show, the PA and director might take their cue from an off air feed of that main programme, together with a feed of talkback from the studio (  generally called a four wire  - two wire carrying the feed from the studio and the other two wires carrying the reply to the studio ) .

If Adele could be more specific about the type of programme, we might be able to come up with something more appropriate for that context.

Alan Taylor
… who was most definitely not around in those days, so might be wrong about some of the details, but as far as I know it’s correct.