[Tech1] Different topic

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Mon Apr 13 07:32:25 CDT 2020

My memory of Dave Hawthorn was that he was innovative in setting up inter-boom talkback. When we got a stalk reverse T/B mic to speak to the SS in the gallery, he cross-plugged it in some way, so the boom ops between us could work out the dialogue coverage on a multi-boom set.
He also came up with an antidote to presenters who fiddled with the BK6 mics (a dynamic) by plugging it to the SS talkback mic from the desk, using it as a miniature loudspeaker, then saying in a Goon Bluebottle voice: “Nee-hee, Don’t do that!”
This was a trick I borrowed for a film set I was booming on. D25 in the cradle, so a spare Nagra on the boom platform and a Sony ECM on me. Racked out the mic to close to the camera operators ear’ole, and asked for a top limit (“Mike, here!”)
Complete bewilderment from operator, who thought we had a small loudspeaker in the mic! Effectively, yes, as the moving coil element was working as a l/s.
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: dave.mdv via Tech1
! I remember it all very well! Including getting the 'Nationwide'  sound  'coffin on wheels' from stores every Monday and returning it, perfectly packed  by Dave Hawthorn, every Friday evening. Poor old Dave must have had a OCD as he always unpacked it and re-did it to his own satisfaction, he ended up as tele-cine organiser after a medical assessment.