[Tech1] Lighting

patheigham pat.heigham at amps.net
Mon Sep 2 07:51:48 CDT 2019

When I transferred from TV to the Film Industry, and was Boom Op on a good number of features, I found the BBC training invaluable in sussing out the DoP’s lighting plot, to see which lamps would give problems to the boom.
One commercial I worked on, shot at Hatchlands, a National Trust property near my home (probably the nearest location I’ve ever had!),
was the first Nescafe Gold Blend of the subsequent series. The DoP was none other than the great Freddie Young. He paused by the sound table and enquired who was the boom operator. Me! Asked me my name and said: ”I’m Freddie, and you won’t have any problems”. Standing in the artistes’ position, I took a look – perfectly textbook standard 3-point lighting – key, fill, back.

I learned some new words in this industry: ‘Charlie Bar’ a thin strip flag to put a shadow across the lady’s bosom to enhance the cleavage!
The name of a certain lighting effect has derived from its first use in film. One example is the "obie," a small spotlight that was designed by the cinematographer Lucien Ballard (1908–1988) during the filming of The Lodger (1944) in order to conceal the facial scars of actress Merle Oberon. I saw this in use, later, mounted above the lens and it was fitted with a shutter, so that when the camera tracked in, the brightness could be progressively reduced.
Some ‘new’ DoP’s favoured soft light all round, and built walls of poly to bounce light off – this made it physically difficult to get the boom in, but lessened the shadow problems.
Best
Pat

Sent from Mail for Windows 10