[Tech1] Jet washer recommendation?

David Newbitt dnewbitt at fireflyuk.net
Sun Nov 24 13:18:02 CST 2019

I've owned and been using pressure washers for well over 30 years - all
Karcher. The first was an industrial quality model 580 with a 2000W motor,
not resembling a Hoover on plastic wheels typical of most manufacturer's
(including Karcher) current DIY offerings but a pick-up-and-carry affair as
attached pic. For its size it was extraordinarily heavy and it lasted
through 20 years of frequent heavy use.

I gave up on it when the on/off switch failed (the big black affair on top
in front of the carry handle). I bought as a replacement a Karcher K5.80, a
DIY machine which is mostly plastic and functions well enough I guess but
can't hold a candle to my original 580. Not designed for continuous use,
it's thermal cut-out kicks in if you push it too hard and takes an age
before it can be re-set. Heaven knows what industrial quality machines cost
now but someone in Sidmouth is currently offering a S/H 580 like my old one
for £150 and it must be donkey's years old.

Beware the force you may need if there is a slippery algal growth under the
moss and black mould - it can be very difficult to shift. Unless
recommendations have changed, many slab manufacturers countenance against
pressure washing but I have found it's a no option situation where things
have got bad.

I have a Bosch electric hedge trimmer with a 36" bar which has given years
of service and is still brilliant. Current 'Which' reviews do give
reasonable ratings to some of the Bosch pressure washers but all  the 'best
buys' are either Nilfisk or Karcher (mostly Nilfisk).

Good luck!

Dave Newbitt.