[Tech1] In the dark

Dave Plowman dave at davesound.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 18:41:56 CST 2019

In article <892791c3-a8f3-8ae4-7a01-404f088caa47 at btinternet.com>,
   dave.mdv via Tech1 <tech1 at tech-ops.co.uk> wrote:
> My wife and all her NHS retired colleagues have complained about this
> problem for many years - mainly to me, as a representative of the BBC! I
> am sick of trying to explain that all these graduates of 'Media Studies'
> at University haven't had the same training in real life television that
> we all have. It's OK to see you beloved production in a preview theatre
> in perfect surroundings, dimlight, hi-fi loudspeakers etc. but translate
> that to the average domestic living room with daylight and the kids
> kicking off, how can you judge the product? The very first sound desk in
> TVC had the ability to switch the desk output to a small loudspeaker so
> that the SS could judge the audibility of his output on a domestic TV. I
> think that the modern day producers and directors should have a similar
> facility to judge their creations! Cheers, Dave

I was listening on LS 5/7, Dave. In a pretty quiet room too. Not much
light in the room either as those speakers pretty well block the windows.
;-)

Since the BBC no longer design their own speakers, I'm wondering if
dubbing suites are now use commercial ones with a vast excess of 'top'
Which would account for the woolly dialogue.

Oh - before anyone says it's my old ears, I don't find R4 dialogue
listened to from FreeView at home - so over exactly the same domestic
chain - woolly. Ever.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

    Dave Plowman     dave at davesound.co.uk     London SW 12